Monday, July 5, 2010

One man's trash, another man's smoker

I was sitting at work one day about a week ago, thinking about how much I love meat. I thought about how great it would be to get a smoker so that I could make some really tasty meat. I had tried to convince Amber many times to let me buy one, but we never really had the money for it. I realized that there were several 5 gallon solvent cans sitting by one of the doors at work. They had been there for a couple of years and I figured nobody would miss them. They were about the size of a smoker, too, so I thought I'd try my hand at making my own. I drew up some plans and talked to a buddy at work about it and we decided that it should work. I grabbed a couple of the cans and went home. After cleaning them, I cut the tops out of the cans and cut the bottom off of one. When stacked, they formed a nice smoke chamber. I originally thought that I would fashion a tray for charcoal and all of the other things I would need, but in the end I got lazy and decided that propane was the fuel of choice. Once stacked and loaded, five hours later we had a smoked chicken. Amber agreed that it was "real good." An approving vote. Today we had some friends over and put the smoker to the ultimate test: RIBS. They were even better than the chicken. I had moved the smoker onto a small propane stove to smoke the ribs, rather than on the side of the grill which I did with the chicken. As we cleaned up tonight I discovered a perfect circle of charred grass under the smoker, but I'll deal with it to have ribs that good.



No comments: